Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Peanut Butter-Cup Cookies

I have a confession to make.  I really love Reese’s Peanut Butter-Cups.  Around this time last year, I bought a 250 g package of mini Reese’s Peanut Butter-Cups and was going to try out this recipe. I thought, “what could be better than combining a chocolate bar and cookie?” 
But I made one tragic mistake. I waited. Or, should I say, I planned to wait.  I had set aside time to make the cookies on the weekend. But you see, I didn’t wait to sample a few mini Reese’s cups here. . . and there. . . so by the time my weekend came I was very full of chocolate and had no ingredients  left for my baking!


In my shame, I did not make the cookies.


Fast-forward to this year. I pulled my recipe out of my dilapidated red file folder and left it on my counter while I went and bought my package of chocolates. This time I was ready to bake them – almost right away. I let them sit in my food cupboard for one day, after which I realized I had eaten 3-4 cups on the sly. I got a hold of my apron and immediately threw myself into baking.
I will warn you. These are highly addictive. 
Peanut Butter-Cup Cookies
Adapted from Real Simple.com.  Makes approximately 20 cookies. 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature (please make sure it is at room temperature – this does make a difference!)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 250 g bag of small peanut butter cups, coarsely chopped

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in the peanut butter cups. Depending on the consistency of your batter, you may need to work this with your hands and then roll into small balls.
3. Place balls of prepared dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until light brown around the edges, 12 minutes. Transfer to a baking rack to cool.
Tip: Do not overcook these! Even if they don’t look done – please take them out of the oven and do the toothpick test to see if any batter/crumbs come off on the toothpick.  Better a little chewy and gooey than hard. I left one of my batches in a little too long and they hardened up way to much for my liking. I was tempted to throw the works of it away – but I’m glad I didn’t and have something to snack on throughout the week!

4 comments:

  1. Definitely going to try these asap! They had me at 'Reese's Peanut Butter'! Beautiful blog by the way!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad you are going to try them out!

    Allison :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little obsessed with your blog. I check it at least once a day. I had the salmon and zucchini sticks the other day although I tried to double the glaze recipe for lunch the next day and it didn't thicken. It was still good though. I am just about to make the pb cookies for the staff social!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,

    I'm so happy that you are checking in on my blog faithfully! Thank you! For the glaze how long did you let it simmer for?

    Good luck with the PB cookies - I hope you can find a pumpkin because you're going to need some puree for some recipes coming up!

    Allison :)

    ReplyDelete

I need something to make this taste a little more sweet ... leave a message! :)