Search This Blog

Saturday 10 December 2011

Sweet Potato Fries

Despite the need to bake lots of delicious desserts this season, it's nice to have some ideas for meals and appetizers planned to when you're expecting company. One recent stumble on Pinterest found me eyeing a recipe for sweet potato fries. I was worried that I would make them into a mushy mess. . . but I love sweet potatoes so much that I decided it was worth risking it - even with company for my first attempt.

So, the recipe held it's own and I made a few adaptations to suit my own personal taste. I hope that you can enjoy these as an appetizer or a side dish.

Sweet Potato Fries
Adapted from theartofdoingstuff.com.


Ingredients:

Sweet potatoes (for two people I usually use 1 large one - so if you're making for a crowd - you use a couple)
Corn starch
Olive oil
Pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425.

Peel and dice the sweet potato into rectangles - like fries!
In a bowl, place your diced sweet potato, 1 TBSP of cornstarch, 2 TBSP of olive oil and toss with your hands to make sure they're well coated.
Next, lay out the fries on a non-stick cookie sheet and make sure they are well spaced out and crack some nice fresh pepper to your taste over the top.
It's important that you not cram all the fries right next to each other - they need some space between each other so they bake and not get really soggy and steam.

Bake 25 minutes.

Take out and serve with this delicious dip:

Dipping Sauce:

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
1-2 TBSP (to your taste) of Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Stir together well and if you like things hotter - add more of spice and/or hot sauce. Frank's hot sauce is good because it's a little sweet so you still get some good hot flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I need something to make this taste a little more sweet ... leave a message! :)